Using an FTP Program
for Web Pages
- Setting up a web page involves sending a specially coded
computer file electronically to a special area in your host
computer called the public_html directory. Like your email
directory, a password is needed to access that particular storage
area. An FTP program (software that allows "file transfer
protocol") is needed to send files from a folder on one computer
to a folder (or directory) on another computer. A file placed in a
public_html directory at a host computer is then accessible by a
world wide web browser like Netscape.
UMassk12s provides account holders with FTP software in
the graphics disk packages. If you are using our UMass Windows 3.1
or '95 packages, you have a program called WS_FTP. Our Mac
package includes a similar program called Fetch. Both
programs allow you to transfer files between your computer and
UMassk12s or another remote computer.
- To set up your home page on UMassk12s, you need to send the
file called index.html to your public_html directory in
your UMassk12s account. A browser like Netscape will search to
find the index.file. That will be the name of your homepage,
although the word "index" will be hidden. Your page will have this
kind of an address:
- If you are using Fetch
- (Note: these directions are offered for
participants in a workshop using a University Mac lab, however a
very similar procedure would be used at a different
- Click the Apple and drag to Fetch to open the Fetch program.
- For Host, enter k12s.phast.umass.edu
- For User ID, enter your username on UMassk12s
- For Password, enter your UMassk12s password
- For Directory, enter public_html
- Click on OK.
- You will get a new screen. Click Ascii and then click on Put
- You will see a choice of files, including your index.html on
- Double click on index.html. This will give you a new screen
- "Save file on k12s.phast.umass.edu as..."
- Click on OK and the file should transfer (the dog icon will
- Using FTP at home
- If you use Fetch, you will go through the same steps stated
above and transfer the index.html or other files from the
- If you have a windows machine, you must call your home
page index.htm (not html). Click on the ws_ftp icon (or
START menu item). You will fill in the apprpriate blanks with the
host, username, password and click on OK. Your screen will have
two parts to the window, one for UMassk12s and one for your PC.
Click the appropriate buttons to change to the public_html
directory on UMassk12s and to the directory on your machine which
contains index.htm. Double click on index.htm to transfer it to UMassk12s. Then, on the UMassk12s side of the display,
click on rename and change index.htm to index.html.
to UMassk12s User Home Page Information