UMASSK12 POLICIES AND GUIDELINES
The purpose of UMassK12 is to advance education in Massachusetts K12 schools. All use of the system must be consistent with this purpose as well as with the general guidelines listed below. Failure to comply with these guidelines will result in the cancellation of access privileges.
- Use of UMassK12 for illegal or obscene purposes in prohibited.
- Use of UMassK12 for commercial purposes or advertising is prohibited.
- Accounts may be used only by the authorized owner of the account. ACCOUNTS MAY NOT BE SHARED; DO NOT GIVE ANYONE YOUR PASSWORD. In the case of class accounts, all use must be under the supervision of the sponsoring teacher.
- Use of UMassK12 may not interfere with nor disrupt the use by others of the system and connecting networks.
- Users may not harass others by sending annoying, obscene, libelous, or threatening messages in email, newsgroups, or real time chat (IRC).
- Users must follow the guidelines posted by the moderators of newsgroups and other services.
- Users must respect copyright laws and licensing agreements pertaining to material entered into and obtained via the system.
- Unauthorized access to UMassK12 or other networked computers in not permitted.
- Because of resource limitations, UMassK12 does not allow access to IRCs (Internet Relay Chats) or MUDs (Multiple User Dungeons).
- Teacher accounts have full access to newsgroups, telnet, ftp, world wide web (WWW), and gopher services. Basic student accounts have restricted access to some of these services via the UMassK12 menus. Extended access student accounts have the same access to services as teacher accounts with one major exception: they do not have access to the full usenet news feed. All graphical accounts have full Internet access.
- To minimize the possibility of unwanted communications, users should not make public their home addresses or telephone numbers. Use a school address if somebody wants to send you something via the US mail.
- Individual teacher or student accounts are limited to two hours per day. Class accounts have unlimited school hour access for one computer at a time. Class accounts are to be used only by students under the direct supervision of the teacher; students should not be given the password or allowed to access UMassK12 without a teacher present.
- Violations of these policies and guidelines may lead to the suspension or termination of an account without a refund of the remaining subscription fees.