- AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science). (1993). Benchmarks of science literacy. New York:
Oxford University Press.
- AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science). (1989). Science for All Americans. Washington, DC
Angelo, T.A. and Cross K.P.(1993). Classroom assessment techniques: A handbook for college teachers, San Francisco:
- D'Avanzo, C. (1996). Three ways to teach ecology labs by inquiry: Guided, open-ended, and teacher-collaborative. Bulletin
of the Ecological Society of America 77: 92-93.
- D'Avanzo, C. and McNeal, A. (In press). Inquiry-teaching in two freshmen level courses: Same core principles but
different approaches. In McNeal, A. and D'Avanzo, C. (eds). Student-active science: models of innovation in college
science teaching. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Press.
- Duckworth, E. (1987). A child's eye view of knowing. The having of wonderful ideas and other essays on teaching and
learning. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Dufresne, R. J., Gerace, W. J., Leonard, W. J., Mestre, J. P. and Wenk, L. (1996). Classtalk: A classroom communication
system for active learning. Journal of Computing in Higher Education 7: 3-47.
- Glass, L., Aiuto, R., and Anderson, H. (1993). Revitalizing teacher preparation in science: An agenda for action.
Washington, DC: National Science Teachers Association.
- Halloun, I. A., and Hesternes, D. (1985). Common sense concepts about motion. American Journal of Physics, 53:
- Heller, P., Keith, R., and Anderson, S. (1992). Teaching problem solving through cooperative grouping. Part I: Group versus
individual problem solving. American Journal of Physics, 60: 627-636.
- Heller, P., Hollanbaugh, R. and Hollanbaugh, M. (1992). Teaching problem solving through cooperative grouping. Part II:
Designing problems and structuring groups. American Journal of Physics, 60: 637-644.
- Lawson, A. E., Rissing, S. W., and Faeth, S. H. (1990). An inquiry-approach to nonmajors biology. Journal of College
Science Teaching, 19: 340-346.
- Lord, T.R. (1994). Using cooperative learning in the teaching of high school biology. American Biology Teacher, 56:
- Massachusetts Department of Education (1995). The Massachusetts Science and Technology Curriculum Framework:
Owning the Questions Through Science and Technology Education. The Mathematics Curriculum Framework: Achieving
Mathematical Power. Malden, MA.
- Massachusetts Department of Education (1996). Statistical Data for Science and Mathematics Indicators, 1994-95.
- Mestre, J., and Touger, J. (1989). Cooperative research: What's in it for physics teachers. The Physics Teacher, 27:
- NCEE (National Commission on Excellence in Education). (1983). A nation at risk: The imperative for educational reform.
Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- NCES (National Center for Educational Statistics). (1994). 1990-91 Schools and staffing survey (SASS). Unpublished
tabulations in Indicators of Science and Mathematics Education 1995. Edited by Larry E. Suter. Arlington, VA: National
Science Foundation, 1996 (NSF 96-52).
- NCTM (National Council of Teachers of Mathematics). (1991). Professional standards for teaching mathematics. Reston,
- NRC ( National Research Council). (1996). National science education standards. Washington, DC: National Academy
- Oakes, J. (1990). Lost Talent: The under-participation of woman, minorities, and disabled persons in science. Santa Monica,
CA: RAND Corporation.
- Posaner, H.B., and Markstein, J. A. (1994). Cooperative learning in introductory cell and molecular biology. Journal of
College Science Teaching, 24: 231-233.
- Shymansky, R. L., Hedges, L. V., and Woodworth, G. (1990). A reassessment of the effects of inquiry-based science
curricula of the 60's on student performance. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 27(2): 124-144.
- Sullins, E.S., Hernandez, D., Fuller, C., and Tashiro, J.S. (1995). Predicting who will major in a science discipline:
expectancy-value theory as part of an ecological model for studying academic communities. Journal of Research in Science
Teaching, 32: 99-119.
- Sundberg, M. D., and Moncada, G. J. (1994). Creating effective investigative laboratories for undergraduates. BioScience,
- Tobias, Sheila (1990). They're not dumb, they're different. Stalking the second tier. Tucson, AZ: Research Corporation.
- Weiss, I. R., Matti, M. C., and Smith, P. S. (1994). Report of the 1993 national survey of science and mathematics
education (NSSME). Chapel Hill, NC: Horizon Research, Inc.
- Wilson, M.A.B., and Sternheim, M.M., (1996). The 5C5E handbook: doing science research in the classroom. Amherst,
MA: Five Colleges, Inc.
BACK TO Table of Contents
Created June 2000
Author: STEMTEC Webmaster