Supporting New Teachers
Even with exemplary preservice teacher education, new teachers find the first few years in the classroom to be trying
experiences. To better ensure the success and retention of new teachers, STEMTEC will provide support to new science and
math teachers in the participating schools districts; some but not all of these teachers will have received their educations in the
participating colleges. The program is designed to implement the state-mandated Standard Certification process which, as a
result of the 1993 Education Reform Act, must be completed within five years of initial certification. STEMTEC will work
closely with the faculty in the colleges that have Standard Certification programs and will provide new science and math
teachers with the following resources:
- Internet accounts on UMassK12 for access to the STEMTEC Teacher ListServ and web page, which will be visited by
new teachers, mentors, and college faculty.
- New teachers will be paired with STEMTEC mentors for ongoing support.
- Selected advanced science and mathematics courses, which employ the modern teaching strategies and meet the
requirements for Standard Certification, will be offered at times convenient for teachers.
- A new course, Teaching Science and Mathematics in Schools, to be part of the Standard Certification program at
UMass, will be developed in the School of Education to provide new teachers with a seminar focusing on pedagogy,
curriculum, and assessment within the context of the reform efforts. All aspects of the course will directly relate to the
teachers' current practice.
- New teachers will be provided with the opportunity to observe each other teach.
BACK TO Table of Contents
Created June 2000
Author: STEMTEC Webmaster